25 Oct WHAT IS A WIRE HARNESS? WHICH INDUSTRIES ARE USING WIRE HARNESSES?
An electronic harness is one of the most important components of many different kinds of electrical devices. It’s commonly used in the manufacturing industry and especially in the automotive sector. Many kinds of equipment, machine, or appliance that utilizes electrical currents to function are built with an electronic harness.
They come in many different sizes and compositions depending on the specific device that it was designed for. You may have seen a wire harness when attempting to fix a simple household appliance, they are multicolored wires that branch out into different connectors and fuses.
Parts of Wire Harnesses
Like the aforementioned, a typical wire harness is made up of a compact bundle of multicolored wires, terminals, and connectors. The way it’s normally assembled depends on the requirements of the device and you may even find one that is simply joined together with cable ties.
However, complicated electronic harnesses may require a more complex assembly with cables interconnected and molded within one another to serve multiple purposes. Electronic harnesses are fundamental in the manufacturing sector and are usually the backbone of many industries that require any sort of electrical transmission. There are many components of an electronic harness, each of which is utilized in many variations to perform different applications.
- Wires – Understandably, wires are the most important part of constructing an electronic harness. They are the ones that carry and transmit the electrical currents needed for a device or machine to work. Each wire should be able to have the capacity to withstand the amount of power that is required. Wires are normally made up of copper that is coated with insulating material such as rubber or plastic.
- Insulators – Insulators typically come in different colors. They are also sometimes called tubes because of how they wrap around the wires throughout an electric harness. They are made to protect the wires from any kind of damages and also protect the people who may come in contact with the electronic harness from electric shock.
- Fuses – Fuses are important because they control and stop any possible excessive currents. It’s considered a safety device that protects the entirety of the electrical circuit of the electronic harness. Each harness may require a specific fuse depending on the amount of electric current needed.
- Connectors – Usually made up of plastic, metal, or ceramic, wire connectors also come in different shapes and colors. From the name itself, its purpose is to connect or join the wires together.
- Terminals – The terminal connector fastens the wires to the terminal blocks and connects the system of different circuits altogether. It also secures an electrical ground for the electronic harness.
- Relays – Wire relays connect and disconnect the power supply depending on the required amperage. Preventive relays are used to control inconsistent currents which may somehow cause damage or adverse effects to the electronic harness.
Industries Utilizing Wire Harnesses
The invention of electronic harnesses elicited the conception of many other technologies. Wire harnesses are used in countless industries and the life we know today wouldn’t be possible without them. Each electronic harness is constructed uniquely depending on the specific industry that uses it.
Man’s thirst for knowledge when it comes to space exploration is undeniably inherent. Ever since the Soviet Union has launched its first artificial satellite into space in 1957, humans have continuously strived to discover more of the unknown. Aerospace engineers rely on heavy-duty electronic harnesses that can cater to the environments in space.
These electronic harnesses signal the functions of the devices that were launched into the atmosphere. They also allow communication and commands that are necessary to complete the expedition. Electronic harnesses used in aerospace engineering are understandably quite different from the average one used on earth. They are usually made with materials that went through a series of resistance tests before launching into outer space.
Factories or manufacturing facilities are one of the foundations of the industrial revolution. The manufacturing industry has grown throughout the years and has found ways to develop and improve production with the help of modern science and technology. Fabrication is now made efficient with the use of mechanical devices and robots that make the production process more fast and efficient.
Demand for various products has also risen throughout the years and therefore a more structured and methodical manufacturing system is needed. The use of an electronic harness in many automated factory machines has shaped a more modern and logical way of manufacturing. Wire harnesses connect power and conductors to control different procedures in the production line. It also greatly reduces any room for human error and optimizes the whole process.
It is evident that medical technology has come a long way in history. The advances of medical science have proven to even extend the human lifespan generation after generation. Tons of medical devices and machines that cater to preserving and improving the health of human beings are continuously being invented. These medical wonders of course are all engineered with the aid of an electronic harness. Each medical device would not be able to serve its purpose without having a circuit system that is wired through an electronic harness.
Different facets of medicine such as radiology and pathology depend on reliable technology that should function without failure. The electronic harness that runs through these machines may come in different shapes and sizes. The assembly of electronic harnesses in medicine must also be approved by the FDA and should pass a series of guidelines.
Much like the medical industry, the automotive sector has shown phenomenal breakthroughs in its field. Today, new cars are released yearly with more additional functions to make the whole driving experience more convenient and this wouldn’t be made possible without an electronic harness.
The automotive industry is probably one of the most commonly known uses of an electronic harness. The vehicle utilizes the help of an electronic harness from the moment you put your keys into the ignition and start the car. Each action your car does signals or transmits power through the network of wires that run under the vehicle. It interconnects each component to serve its function from the engine, steering, lighting, and so forth.